Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Why I Love the Order of Worship

Before God brought my family into the Reformed Church in the United States, I was a member of the wide, wide world of evangelicals. I remember we would make fun of churches with a program, saying they were stifling the Holy Spirit.

But I was thinking about something a writing professor taught me years ago about good writing. He said that any time the reader stumbles over the writing, the reader is distracted from the story. The story is paramount, and the words merely serve the story. Even if you believe you have written something in a clever or unique way, if it jars the reader away from the story, it's not good writing.

I believe the same holds true for the Order of Worship our churches use. I am never jarred out of the Story at church. I never have to adjust my thinking to a new situation. I am so familiar with the Order that the content, our God and Savior, is all I have to think about.

No comments: