Sunday, March 18, 2007

Home Remedy for Ear Aches

Titus kept me up much of the night last night with a relapse of a cold we had weeks ago. Today he complained that his ear hurt, which looks like:

"ouch"
"ouch"
point to ear
He is not the master of the verbal his Dad or Katie were at his age.

Dr. I've Rejected the Medical Establishment and So Should You wrote a book called "How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor." Matt hates the book, but I've found it very helpful (thanks, Mom). He explains what symptoms give real cause for worry, and which can be safely treated at home with love and common sense. It's great to know that I really don't need a doctor anymore unless something is broken or someone is bleeding from his eyeballs, otherwise I have everything I need in my pantry. Okay, that's a gross mis-representation of the book, but he does make the point that doctor visits should be very rare occurrences. He believes most of children's doctor visits today are gratuitous.

Anyway, his advice in the situation we find ourselves in is to warm olive oil and drop a drop in the ear. I guess it's the air that causes pain to the infected ear. It's worked like a dream for us every time, from when Katie is screaming in the middle of the night, to when Titus is casually pointing to his ear indicating discomfort, they calm down immediately and return to sleep.

8 comments:

Ashie said...

Hey there, nice blog!! Since I don't blog much anymore, I'll content myself with reading yours! As we both know, your life is more exciting than mine!

BTW, I hope Titus and Katie are feeling better, as I heard that is why you missed church today.

Heather said...

Love that book! I'm sure my husband doesn't care for it much either but hey if the stuff he suggests works and you don't have to spend time and money at the doctors then why not try it. Makes sense to me.

striving... said...

My mom used to do this with me. I always had ear problems. I think my 4 year old gets it from me.

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Ash, I do have an exciting life. Thanks for noticing. ;-)
It's too early yet to assess everyone's levels of wellness. We are all still dusting the cobwebs out of our sleep-deprived brains. There's a lot of grunting, groaning, sniffling, and coughing, but how much is due to lack of sleep is unclear. Thank you for the concern. I missed seeing everyone yesterday.

Dee said...

That's a really good tip that I will use for my kids next time. Thanks! One thing I've heard to help with the pain of an ear infection is heating up a potato in the microwave, wrapping it up in a handtowel and put on the child's ear. It helped with Nathanael since he is old enough to keep it there. :)

Andrea said...

Thanks, Dee. I'll keep that in mind next time. Anyone else have super remedies for ear aches?

bigsis said...

I try to remind myself "what did our ancestors do before doctors" there is usually a home remedy that will work, and as most families now a days, money doesn't grow on trees.. so any alternative is always good