Sunday, March 18, 2007

Making Bat Food

"It's hard making sand oatmeal. It's going to be bat food because it has bugs in it."

Katie is obsessed with bats. The kind of bats with wings that get caught in one's hair and scares one to death. She prays every night that God will give her a big brown bat. Every night I pray that God WON'T give her a big brown bat.
Here she is enlisting Titus' help in preparing bat food.

When I killed a spider a while back she told me to take it to the bat she keeps in her closet so he can eat it. (I made her a paper bat a while ago so she'd shut up about the bat already, and it hangs in her closet.) I handled this order with one of my favorite parenting tools: lying.
I told her I did and then flushed it down the toilet. I hope she never reads these stories.

4 comments:

Heather said...

LOVE HER! She is such a crack up! I'm so glad that I am not the only parent that lies sometimes to her kids. Aren't we supposed to be teaching them that it's wrong to lie, yet we do it ourselves?

Andrea said...

Yes, Heather. Every day I determine to stop the lying. It's mostly because I don't want to stop every two minutes and go into a long explanation that I resort to a quick alternate reality story. I've really got to stop doing it. That's it. I've determined today is the day I'm ending all the lies.

Dee said...

Wow! That's my favorite parenting tool as well. Otherwise, they would never eat.

striving... said...

All of you make me laugh. I am glad you are my friends.