Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mom and Hanneke, Do Not Read This

Titus and I have been ill since last week, so I have not been getting very much done. Matt is away this evening. These two facts combined to produce a rare urge to clean like mad. I cleaned the guest room, front room, and dining room unusually detailed, mopping and everything. Katie came out of her bedroom and exclaimed, "Oh, Mom, it's so clean! You are such a good cleaner! I love it! I love you, Mom. I'm so happy you cleaned!" This isn't even the half of it, mind you.

She is dancing and jumping around the dining room as she says this. Titus is so caught up in the joy of clean that he is doing bottom spins on the floor and squealing.

My heart sank. I've been fooling myself into thinking that kids don't notice trivial little things like dusting and mopping. They really only notice the love. Boy was I wrong.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making me laugh out loud tonight. I needed that. I am so glad you did this blog because your kids are so funny and I get to hear more about them and read about their little personalities. This is one of the funniest things I've read in awhile, I can just picture them doing that. I'm right there with you though, I'm sure once Olivia is a little older she'll be saying the same thing to me. Oh, if only our houses could clean themselves.

Andrea said...

If only...
(sigh of longing)
If Katie were honest with herself she'd realize she's a big part of why the house isn't as clean as it should be. And it's not like we live in a pig sty. I maintain a reasonable standard. Really, I maintain!

striving... said...

That is all it is about. An equal balance, and they will care about your love than how clean your house is, at least that is what I like to tell myself:) I am no proverbs 31 woman, but I do what I can.

striving... said...

as do you, I am sure. sorry forgot that part.

Dee said...

I definitely know the feeling. My boys won't step foot in a room that is a mess. Lately, though, I've been so sick that my boys have been put to work. I think it's a good lesson for them. If they want a clean house, they'll have to learn to clean. Ha.