Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Importance of Feeding Children On Time

Matthew kindly watched the kids yesterday so I could have lunch with a friend. The weather has turned warm after a long cold winter, and the kids are very happy to spend endless hours in the yard. Titus and Katie spent most of the morning in our yard yesterday. Driven by their hunger, they appeared inside the house again. Matt made them PBJ sandwiches and left them at the table while he returned to his computer, or the other woman, as I like to call it.

These are the events as I understand them from Matt (correct me if I'm wrong, Matt.)

Katie runs into the office.
"Titus threw up , Dad!"
Matt finds Titus with his hands holding his PBJ on his lap and vomit covering his tummy and the sandwich. It was obvious Titus had been eating grass.
Katie informed us later that he had eaten a lot of leaves, grass, and flowers. I guess Titus didn't see a need to wait for a more formal dining experience when there were so many edible things lying about.

Matt, growing up in California, had the luxury of grazing on berries and fruits (and apparently the dog food) all day when he was a boy. Poor Titus, growing up in Eastern Colorado, gets grass, leaves and flowers. And we don't have any reason to keep dog food around.

So I had clothes covered in vomit (and poop, by the way) waiting for me, while my friend's kids had cleaned her whole house while she was gone. Sigh.

6 comments:

Dee said...

Now that's a funny story! I laughed out loud. Sounds like something that would happen to me. :)

striving... said...

Yeah, I laughed too. Oh, your day will come when those great kids of yours are cleaning your house too.

Heather said...

I also laughed out loud. Thanks for sharing that. I can't believe he ate all that stuff. Yuck. Poor Matt and poor mama to come home to that.

Andrea said...

Thanks for reminding me, Heather, to feel sorry for Matt. It must have been really gross cleaning up after that. He did a great job. I think he's finally getting the hang of this daddy business.

eileen~ said...

Hey Andrea, now we can keep up with the kidletts.....great space!

Now I know what to do if I feel really really bad and need to throw up...go out and eat some grass. Poor little guy and yes, poor Matt!

Andrea said...

Good to hear from you, Eileen. I think there may be more to the story than Katie told us. I was outside with them yesterday and I heard Katie say, "Here, can you taste this for me, Buddy?" as she hands Titus a clod of mud. Awesome! My brother Jason tells similar stories of our oldest brother feeding him disgusting things, too. Katie must get it from my side.