Thursday, January 24, 2008

Comedy of Errors

I've felt like the tail-end of this pregnancy has been fraught with difficulties to the point of the ridiculous. I posted on my late term cold, and now the cough from that cold tore a muscle or ligament in my back. The pain from which sent us to the emergency room the other night hoping for some kind of relief. It's funny how people go quicker when they find out you're a week over your due date, even though I was not in labor. When we checked in at the emergency room desk, the attendant's manner went from bored/lazy to urgency as soon as he found out how far along I am.

Maybe it's just the maternity section, which is where we were sent, or maybe it's my poor observation skills, but I have yet to experience the health-care crisis. I've had two babies at Memorial Hospital, and now this experience, and I've felt very well taken care of. I can't say a lot about the doctor care because the majority of the care has been by the nurses, but the nurses have all been fabulous. I have been admitted with and without insurance, and the care has been great in both instances. I even preferred the care better without insurance because they involved us in more of the decisions. Kudos to Memorial Hospital.

To cut to the chase: Still no Henry. Thank you for all your prayers regarding the back injury. The recovery has been steady, and I'm almost insensible of any pain anymore. I'm not worried about going into labor anymore as far as the back/rib injury goes. God has been more gracious than I deserve.

The midwife has scheduled us to come into town Monday, and she will begin trying some things that can induce labor. Perhaps Henry will come tomorrow. If not, the midwife is required by law (The Fascists!) to take me into a doctor's office and have tests done to assure the well-being of the baby. Her experience has been that the doctor will give the baby the okay and send me home for another week. So that's where we are at right now.

Just a quick anecdote that's come of all this:
Last night Titus was sitting next to me on the couch and went: Cough. "Ouch!" He did this a couple more times before I realized he was mocking me.

2 comments:

striving... said...

Well, I will be praying for you and all your family. Have someone call me if the little guy makes his appearance, ecspeically tomorrow, I will have the car. If you are up to visitors!!! Ciao,

Dee said...

I'm so glad you are alright now. It's not fun being sick and pregnant at the same time. When I was pregnant with Aidan, I took a herb called squaw vine. It is considered politically incorrect now, so it is called something else that I didn't bother to remember. But, if you want to try it, go to Vitamin Cottage and ask for them to look it up. They should be able to help you. Talk to your midwife about it, but for me it worked really well to induce labor and it was my easiest labor. Take care.