Friday, October 26, 2007

It's In Our Genes

I was at a beautiful, big playground yesterday with Katie and Titus. It had little kid climbing walls, bridges, multiple slides that wound and waved. It had things I'd never seen before, but were remarkably fun. I was twirling Katie on one of these, and a line of little girls soon formed to be next. I stopped Kate's ride so the others could have a turn. Katie wanted to go again, so I directed her to the back of the line. She immediately entered into the discussion the girls were having about how hot they all were. The girl just in front of her became her good friend just like that.

I left Kate in line while I pushed Titus on the swing. I looked up a few minutes later and Katie and the girl were sitting, in the midst of all these fun activities, visiting. They sat there for at least thirty minutes chatting until they finally entered into an imaginative game running around on the bridges.

Isn't this what we still do all grown up? We girls get together to make cards, or scrapbook, or quilt, not because we can't do these things alone, but we need excuses to get together and chat. I'm sure Matt is glad I have girlfriends who help meet the need to talk, because even though I have an unusually verbal husband, not even he could sustain the full burden of my chatting needs.

No comments: