Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It's Fun To Scare Children

I love to read to the kids. I love to try to draw them into a story by lively reading. I really enjoy it when an author can build tension well, and I can watch as my children tense and then delight in the release of the tension. I guess I can get into the reading too much, though. The other day we were reading Billy Goats Gruff and I attempted to use the harsh voice the author had given to the Ogre. Midway through the interaction of the Billy Goats with the Ogre Katie bursts my bubble by saying, "Mom, use your normal voice. That voice is really creeping me out."

Undaunted, I tried to use a deep gravelly voice described for the evil woman figure in the book we were reading today, and Titus started covering his ears whenever I used the voice. Not too many times and Titus couldn't stand it anymore. With his hands over his ears, he begged me to stop.

It's so hard for me to go back to the normal voice. I'm like my father, I'm afraid, and will do almost anything for the reaction. Somehow it's not quite so much fun to read the parts of bad guys without using the bad guy voice.

4 comments:

striving... said...

I am trying to imagine you using a deep scary voice! My kids have enough problems with waking up in the middle of the night, without me making it worse. No scary voices for this mama.

Andrea said...

I know! I can't imagine me using a deep scary voice either. I often wonder how it must sound. Now that Titus is old enough to sleep with Katie, we don't have a problem with Katie getting up scared in the middle of the night. I'm afraid I don't have that restraint on my perverse nature. I scare away.

Heather said...

You are so funny, I can just hear your voice and see your face as you wait for their reaction. And then see you do it again and again. I like to use the voices too because it's not a scary character if it doesn't have a scary voice to go with it right?

Dee said...

I use the deep, scary voice all the time. My boys love it. Cracks me up.