Saturday, May 19, 2007

Growing Katie's Faith

Katie called me outside to show me something disgusting and frightening. Upon examination I informed her it was a caterpillar that would turn into a butterfly some day. The guts were squished out, however, and the top half was still moving.

"I didn't know, mommy. I thought it was something scary so I stepped on it."

A few minutes later she came bounding into the house and said, "Mom, I asked God to still make that caterpillar into a butterfly." And back she went to play.

Soon she came back in, distressed, "Mom, I didn't know it was a caterpillar."

I was elbow deep in kitchen duties, so I said, "Go tell Daddy, Katie."

I saw Katie on Matt's lap and she was crying, Daddy comforting her, trying to explain God's sovereignty even in this. While this was going on I went out the back door, and when I came in, there was a little green caterpillar climbing up the basement door just at eye level. I took the bug to Katie and said, "Look what God sent for you?"

Her eyes lit up and she bounded out the door to feed the little guy leaves. I think God grew Kate's faith and mine a little bit today.

1 comment:

striving... said...

how sweet she is. Poor girl, I bet she wont step on anything again, unless you and daddy say, Just step on it.