Tuesday, November 6, 2007

It's Just A Figure Of Speech

Katie and Titus have colds. One of the symptoms for Kate has been alternating body temperature. I checked in on the kids before I went to bed, and Katie was still wide awake. I offered to let her come into bed with me. Matt came in to tuck us in, and Katie explained to us why she was so glad we let her sleep in our bed:

Kate: I was getting prickly from being too hot in my bed. I was sweating like a hot pig.
Matt: Sweating like a hot pig?
Kate: Sweating like a hot pig.
Me: Couldn't you just say sweating like a hot girl?
Matt: Yeah. Pigs can't sweat. That's why they wallow in the mud.
Kate: It's just a figure of speech, Dad.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for giving me a good laugh, I needed that today! What a funny girl you have.

striving... said...

See, that is what I mean when I see whitty. How many 5 year olds understand the concept of "figures of speech." She is very bright.

Andrea said...

I don't think I knew what a figure of speech was 'till about twelve. But Katie spends a lot of time talking to Matt and asking endless questions. I think it says less about her intelligence and more about Matt's remarkable patience in explaining everything Katie asks about.

striving... said...

True, True, but beware that sponge brain. It will never end, I have to tell Brisa all the time, I don't know Lets look it up? Thank God for endless internet info. and good old encyclopedias.