Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sibling Relationships

I'm understanding my childhood better, at least my sibling relationships, as I watch Katie and Titus interact.

Katie cries and fusses, and Matt and I check to see what the hub bub is all about. Titus has stumbled on something that upsets his sister. It may be something as simple as a silly face, or it may be a loud, annoyingly repeated noise. Titus is delighted with his ability to affect his sister so powerfully, and he beams from ear to ear as his sister cries for him to stop.

My mother's advice to me so long ago rings in my ears, "Andrea, if you stop reacting, your brothers will stop."

What seemed like such an unjust suggestion so long ago makes perfect sense now. Certainly Titus would probably have never repeated his antic if Katie had never given him such a satisfying reaction. I can now see both sides. Katie is feeling like she is being tormented mercilessly, while Titus has been given a temptation too great to resist. I think I can finally forgive my brothers.

2 comments:

striving... said...

oh that sounds like my little ones, and no matter how hard Brisa tries to not let it affect her, she can't, so enter Bella with her silliness. Oh great sibling rivalry. It could be worse I guess.

Heather said...

I remember this happening when I was little too. I also remember that Amber would follow me around and I would tell her not to touch me so she would hold her finger about 1/2 inch from my skin and say, "I'm not touching you." She loved to taunt me. Hee hee. I can see Titus' cute face now as he grins after taunting Katie.